Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reading Into the New Year


Kristen from Bookworming in the 21st Century is encouraging us to:
Reading into the New Year!! Whether you start five minutes before midnight or hours before, you can join me in Reading into the New Year. If you have kids, you can even involve them by reading them a picture book or having the family join you. The point is to read as it turns from 2009 to 2010. Whether it's just a half hour or 5 hours.
Since I'm a librarian I'm always looking for ways to promote reading and thought this was a fun idea for those of us that stay home on New Years Eve.
So, if you want to join me, go ahead and post about - please steal the button above to! There's a Mr. Linky below to put your posts!
Also, as some extra incentive - I'll be selecting someone at random to receive one or two books I plan on giving away! I'll have a list up later in December with the book titles.
This is the first New Years Eve that I don't actually have to work. I've spent probably the last 5 years sitting on the couch at work, ringing in the New Year by myself with Dick Clark or Richard Simmons on QVC!
And ya know what? I'm going to be doing the exact same thing this year! Only I get to be at home with my daughter and S.O. and I wouldn't have it any other way!
I always thought it would be great to travel to NYC to watch the ball drop. Every year I say someday I am going to do it. I live in upstate NY, so it's not like it's too far away for me to drive. But, the thought of fighting the traffic, finding somewhere to park, fighting the crowds and then standing out in the cold --- eh. I think I'd much rather be sitting at home (or at work) where it's nice and warm with a good book in my hands while I half-listen to the music and the goings on in NYC.
So, I'm right where I want to be. I plan on doing some reading while watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. Or Ryan Seacrest's. If my daughter is still awake, we'll bring in the New Year with one of her favorite stories, but I'm betting she will be out cold way before then. I let her have a couple glasses of soda which is a rare treat so once the sugar high wears off she's going to crash hard! Then Mommy gets some peace and quiet with old TV friends and my good book. Can't wait to figure out which new one I'm going to crack into!

No comments: